Saturday, December 18, 2010

goodbyes and hellos

A new chapter in Scout's life has begun. I am now blogging from Michigan. This is a big time of transition for me, full of ups and downs -- good and bad. Thursday was my last day in Pittsburgh. On that evening, the wonderful Amy threw me the most fantastic goodbye gathering I could have ever asked for. She reads my taste well -- we all got together at Embury, which is a pre-prohibition style lounge which serves well made, custom cocktails in an intimate setting of elegant Victorian decor.

Seeing most of my Pittsburgh friends together, laughing, conversing, enjoying each other's company... it brought me such joy and contentment. I was happy. Which is why I was also sad and struggling not to cry as the hugs and goodbyes began. It was a beautiful evening with beautiful people, and it was one of the most blessed moments of my life. I love you all so much.

Thanks to the fantastic Veronica, I have some great photos to remember the evening by. Here are just a few:


Me and Laura, aka Secret Agent L.






Our gathering took up half of the venue.




Blushing and in love with all of you.




Laughter and fun between friends.

You can see all of the photos on Veronica's flickr set HERE.


Friday morning, I packed up my little Honda as full as I possibly could and Lillybean (my cat) and I set off for Michiana. My mom is very allergic to cats, so Lilly could not stay with me. Thankfully, my cousin, who is only 20 minutes away, offered to house the Bean till I was no longer with my parents. I dropped the cat off with my cousin and was sad to leave her. I know she's just a cat, but she's been a sort of comfort and "living security blanket" to me during some very, very difficult times in my life. She's an animal, but she's my friend. Thankfully, I will still get to see her from time to time.

It's good to be home. It's good, and it's weird. It's odd to sleep in my old bed, to put my clothes into my old dresser. The wall color and decor is different. I lived in this house for years, but it no longer feels like mine. I keep asking permission for things as if I'm a guest. I feel a bit like I'm living life backwards. But I know it is SO important to be close to my family right now. I'm very thankful for them, and it will be good to be here while we heal and discover a new normal and while I build a new life.

______________


This evening, I went just down the road to the local Catholic church in my hometown. I'd never been to this parish before, so no one knows who I am. After the Mass had ended and we all filed out, the priest shook my hand and commented that he'd never seen me here before. He asked my name, I introduced myself, and he asked if I was from around here. I told him that I'd grown up in the area, moved away, and now I'm back.

"Oh!" he says to me. "Well!.... Would you like to be involved in youth ministry?"

"Excuse me?" I say to the priest, completely confused and still holding his hand from our handshake.
"Do you like kids? Would you like to be involved in youth ministry?" he repeats.
"Oh. Um... well, yes. I mean, I'm always looking for ways to be connected and involved." I respond, as I'm stumbling over my words. This priest met me 90 seconds ago and has no idea who I am, and he's asking me to begin working with the children of his parish? Weird.
"Well then, here is the phone number of our parish secretary. Register with the church and she can get you connected! We're so glad to have you." He gives me a side-hug and a big, warm, grandfatherly smile.

Huh.
Go figure. The man wastes no time. Or is it "The Man" wastes no time? ;-)

I think, if anything, this is God telling me that He has plans for me. That I'm not forgotten. That there is hope in my life. And that I have no idea what adventures and wonders are in store for me during my time back in my hometown area. Whatever it is, I'm ready to embrace it all.



2 comments:

  1. I would say "The Man" wastes no time, he always has a reason for our experiences good or bad as we head down the road to our individual destinies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome meeting you and enjoying some wicked good ice cream with you Scout. I hope you're enjoying Michigan. Happy Holidays and Pittsburgh welcomes you back anytime :)

    ReplyDelete