Tuesday, December 21, 2010

caramel popcorn days

Three days, I have spent in Michigan now. It has been mostly rest, relaxation, and setting things up for life back at home. Unfortunately, I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights. It takes adjusting to be in a new bed, in a room that's no longer familiar, to wrestle with thoughts, feelings, and emotions in the wee hours, and it's hard to reach for your cat in the middle of the night and realize she's not there. I feel like the night time and a person's sleep can tell a lot about their life and their well being. Mine? Is currently in a state of flux.



Living in the home of a (former) professional baker (aka my mother) again is QUITE lovely and reaps its benefits and consequences! I will have to watch the fit of my pants closely, because I've already been spoiled. The other day, we made homemade caramel popcorn and chocolate dipped pretzel sticks. Can we say, "NOM?!"



Making the caramel by boiling the butter and sugar. Adding the vanilla and baking soda and watching the mixture foam can be a LOT of fun!



Mmmmm...... administering the goodness. You mix the popcorn in with the caramel liquid and then bake it on a cookie sheet for an oven, stirring every 15 minutes. Delicious.


I met with the RCIA director at St. Matthew's Cathedral in South Bend and discussed jumping into the classes. I felt thankful to hear that the group is made up of many people within my age range. I'm hoping the local parishes and the South Bend Catholic Young Adults group will become a source of community for me. Already, I'm missing my Pittsburgh friends, our weekly activities, and a bit of a lonely feeling is settling in.


However, I *did* get to see my darling Anna last night. Anna and I have been friends since we were ten. No. Scratch that. We were enemies since we were ten till we graduated. Then, we went to opposite sides of the country for college and forgot about each other. Then, once college ended, we somehow became friends. And now? I can't imagine life without her. We made gluten free Christmas cookies last night and sipped on cranberry juice and had a delightful time discussing life and our world and all of the goodness of catching up.


Christmas is near, my friends. I am looking forward to midnight Mass most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment