Friday, February 25, 2011

Sweet Creams Soda Shop

Even though I've lived in the Michana area for many years, I hardly ever got over to Elkhart. It was just this fringe city to me that I never managed to get to. However, I now work right in downtown Elkhart! Even though it's a smaller city, I'm still excited to explore all that there is to be seen here.


Just a few blocks down from my office is the Sweet Creams Soda Shop. Desite the freezing temperatures and snow on the ground, I decided I wanted some ice cream! What an adorable little treat I was in for!





This soda shop is in a 110 year old brick building, and upon walking in, you feel like you've stepped into a 1950's style, small town setting. They have a working vintage soda fountain and there's an old juke box at the end of the rows of booths. An older gentleman was sitting in one of the booths when I walked in. He looked up and said to me, "If you're wanting food, I can go get her. But if you'd just like some ice cream, I can scoop that out for ya!" I smiled and told him I was interested in the ice cream.








Sweet Creams serves Valpo Velvet ice cream, which is a locally made ice cream from Valparaiso, IN. I asked for the coffee chocolate fudge oreo ice cream in a cone. While he was scooping out the ice cream, the gentleman told me about the business. Sweet Creams is owned by a woman who also gives art lessons in a back room attached to the soda fountain. The artwork of her students is hung in another room where the shop frequently hosts live music from local musicians. The musicans are most frequently folk, americana, jazz, and similar genres. There's someone playing almost every evening, the man told me.






The Sweet Creams Soda Shop has more than just ice cream! This seems like a great lunch location for anyone working near downtown Elkhart. They also serve Vienna beef hot dogs in several different styles, in addition to sandwiches and other light eats. It is definitely true to the old style soda shop feel in its atmosphere and menu offerings.






The soda shop doesn't appear to have an official web page, but they do have a facebook group you can check out. They're open Monday through Saturday from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, and they're located at 700 S. Main St in Elkhart. Check them out and go in the evenings to enjoy some live music!




1 comment:

  1. This place looks yummy!!! If I'm ever driving through, I'll have to make sure to stop!

    ReplyDelete