Monday, January 3, 2011

the passing of a great man.



One of my professors from Bethel College, Dr. Scott Johnson ("Scotty J") passed away from his long, excruciating battle with cancer this morning. Scotty J was one of the most brilliant, compassionate men to ever exist in this world. Not that many people understood him, some found him odd. I was just always enthralled and thankful for the three classes I took from him. It really sucks that I sluffed my way through all of them with C's when I bet he could have empowered me to get A's.

You know who some of the most wonderful, amazing, powerful people in the world are? Teachers and professors. It's true. You guys are one of the greatest rocks in our international humanity. The people I admire the most from my life? It's my professors. You were our mentors, our challengers. You inspired and believed in us.

I wouldn't be where I'm at in life today if it wasn't for some of my professors from Bethel. They're the ones who opened my minds, unlocked my dreams, and made me feel like I had the potential to do or be anything in the world that I wanted. Teachers and professors are awesome. You can graduate and go months without contacting them, and they'll still love to catch up over coffee or have your back with a job recommendation when you need it. They'll attend your weddings, cheer you on in grad school, give you recommendations for research topics, send you messages on Facebook. The relationship doesn't stop with the final grade.

My parents and my professors shaped who I am and who I am still trying to become. I owe so much to all of you.... from those who taught me music, literature, science, sociology, and theology. You're the heroes of my heart. May God bless ALL of you.

Scott J, I pray for peace and rest for your departed soul. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment